The Scooby's New Home in...

Scobie Manor was built in 1873 by Hiram Scobie, a decorated veteran of the Civil War who came west after he left the army. He made it big in lumber and built this house. In 1885, he married Grace Phillips. Two years later, in 1887, she died giving birth to their only child, a boy named Phillip in honor of his mother. Scobie hired a nursemaid to care for the boy, a Swedish immigrant named Hedwig. The baby died suddenly a few months later and Hedwig was blamed. She was charged with murder, but acquitted due to lack of evidence. Scobie, however, was convinced that the girl had murdered his son. He sent away all his servants on a long holiday, locked Hedwig away in the attic and tortured her to try to get a confession. Eventually, Hedwig died, still protesting her innocence. Scobie decided he couldn't bear to live in the house anymore and went abroad, saying it was for his health. Hiram Scobie never returned to the house. He arranged for his staff to stay on, however, tending the house and grounds.

Upon Scobie's death in 1908, the town of Whispering Pines was shocked to discover that, while abroad, Hiram had remarried an English woman and had a son by her. Emmaline Scobie and her fourteen year old son, Edgar, moved into the house.

As a boy, Edgar was warned by the maidservants never to go into the attic of the house, because of the ghost there. There were, however, no disturbances and he paid little attention to the idea the house was haunted.

Emmaline Scobie died in the Influenza epidemic of 1918, but Edgar, now 24, continued to live in the house on his own. He never married. As the years went on, odd noises from the attic became a fairly regular occurrence. By 1941, there were occasional odd sounds in the other upper rooms, as well, and rumors of a ghostly face appearing late at night in the attic window.

The first physical manifestation occurred in 1948. An old-fashioned baby's rattle was found on the main staircase by guests of Edgar's who planned to stay the night.

By 1956, the rattle was appearing on a regular basis, usually on the main staircase or on the second floor near the attic stairs. There had also been sounds of a woman sobbing, and even occasionally screaming. Once Scobie's housekeeper went to the attic to get down some things from storage. She was found two hours later in a dead faint by the attic stairs. She left the house that night and refused to tell anyone of what had happened.

When Edgar Scobie died in 1971, he left no heirs. The house was sold to a Mr. and Mrs. John Cummings. The manifestations of the ghost continued. In 1974, the couple attempted an exorcism, but it was unsuccessful. Since the manifestations were merely disturbing rather than violent, the Cummings' decided to leave things as they were.

By 1987, however, the Cummings' had had enough. The sobs and screams had become more frequent, they couldn't get a housekeeper to stay, and few of their friends wanted to visit the house between its inconvenient location and the disturbing sounds. When John slipped on the rattle and fell downstairs breaking his leg, they decided to sell out and move on.

The house was next taken by Steve Grant. Grant had made a killing on the stock exchange and decided to retire to the Pacific Northwest. Scobie Manor suited his idea of where a Wall Street Baron should live. At first he ignored the strange goings on as the workings of his imagination sparked by local legend. He lived there in denial and a fair amount of happiness until one night in 1992 when the rattle appeared in the kitchen and seemed to float up the back stairs before Grant's very eyes.

After that, the house stood empty for several months. When it finally sold in late 1993, it was to the Beasley family. Craig and his new wife Molly wanted to open a bed and breakfast in it. In order to have as many guest rooms as possible, the Beasleys decided to convert the attic into their private quarters and add a small bathroom so guests and family wouldn't have to fight for the two bathrooms already in the house. When the workmen arrived in February of 1994, however, the trouble started. Nobody who was there that day has ever said exactly what happened, but the workmen were gone by noon, swearing never to return, and the Beasleys stayed only long enough to gather most of their personal possessions before leaving as well.

There is an old wagon building behind the main house which the Scoobies have made into a workout room.

Since 1994, the house has stood vacant. The bank foreclosed on the Beasleys, and has been trying to find a buyer. Nobody is willing to take the place on, though.

And according to local legend, a tragic, ghostly face appears nightly in the attic window.

And of course coincidentally, the new Scooby home overlooks the mysterious Shady Hills cemetery.

What would you like to see...


First Floor

Second Floor


Main Picture

Slideshow image

~Extras~ ~Map~ ~Highlights~ ~Scooby Home~

~Pershing Daisies~

~Nightlife~ ~Coven~